Saturday, April 21, 2012

sister nivedita

I am from Ireland and am trying to plan a visit to India focusing on places associated with sister nivedita. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

sister nivedita

Calcutta of course, to Sister Nivedita%26#39;s house in Bosepara lane, and the school she started. And to the Ramakrishna Sarada Mission, and to the Kali Temple at Dakshineshwar.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakshineswar_Kali_Temple

Maybe a pilgrimage to the holy temple at Amarnath? She made the pilgrimage in 1898 with Vivekananda.

And to Belur Math, which serves as a sort of monastery for the monks of the Vivekananda mission

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belur_Math

Let me know if you need more info, I need to go research Sister Nivedita some more in that case.

sister nivedita

You should visit perhaps during Durga Pooja time. The Belur Math celebrates the festival with much devotion: rkmhq.org/durga_puja/…index_6.htm

Another place you could visit is Kanyakumari, to see the Vivekananda Rock Memorial. It is a good way to look at South India as well, to add some touristy things to your itinerary.


Thanks Deepa - I have not decided when exactly I will be travelling - may take me a year or so to sort it all out. I live in the town in Ireland where sister Nivedita was born and I am researching her life both for personal resons and for a dissertation I am doing. I would like to know as much about her as I can before I go - to get maximum benefit from the trip.I appreciate you taking the time to assist me. Thank you again.

  • hair gel
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment