Monday, April 23, 2012

What.......';no shorts';!!!!

Just got my travel documents from tour operator. Suggested items to bring (which was a fairly obvious list) but it also says ';no shorts';. Why not?

Wasn%26#39;t planning to disrespect the locals etc by trying to pour myself into Kylie Minogue type gold hot pants and a skimpy top. My %26#39;shorts%26#39; are appropriate (come down to about 3'; above my knees. If visiting a temple I%26#39;ll wear 3/4 trousers.

Visiting: Delhi/Jaipur/Agra/Ranthambore/Bharatpur/Kanha/Mumbai I can%26#39;t believe ';no shorts'; is adhered to by tourists. Hubby and I both planned to wear them if warm enough.

Any advice appreciated.

What.......';no shorts';!!!!

Safely disregard that advice. Only place you will need to cover up in are religious places and hotels/resturants with a dress code. If you think what you are wearing is appropriate, go for it. Despite the opinions of a section of people, Indians are quite liberal specially in regard to tourists.

Of course, if you go with revealing dresses, you will get unwanted attention. If thats not the case, wear anything and everything you are comfortable with.

What.......';no shorts';!!!!

I totally agree. Lots of Indian women too wear shorts nowadays!!

Enjoy your trip!


I%26#39;m sure you know that the Indian definition of what constitutes acceptable wear is quite different from the Western. Your modest shorts will be accepted quite easily in India%26#39;s cities, but might well be considered provocative in other places.

My candid view is that in the traditional Indian mind, which attaches so much value to modesty, Western women are already outside the acceptable threshold of ';what good women should be';. The exact length of your shorts won%26#39;t make any particular difference to this perception. So go ahead and wear whatever works for you.

Taking a more practical view, if your itinerary includes temples (which in Rajasthan or Delhithey usually will), your tour operator is just playing it safe so that some priest somewhere doesn%26#39;t raise objections. Also, mosquitoes will eat your legs alive in the jungles.

- Deepa


I never considered wearing shorts when visiting Mumbai, Agra, Gwalior, Fatehphur Sikri etc. I would have felt uncomfortable in towns and cities. I think they have their place, but not in cities. More for Goa. I found cotton trousers and a blouse more comfortable. Just my opinion.

  • mascara
  • prom hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment