Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Chloroquine&Proguine

Hi everyone,

I am going to the Colonia Santa Maria (Calangute) in April! I cant wait. My doctor has advised I take Chloroquine and Proguine so I will. I have read the other posts on all the different things you can take but I will just stick to what the doctor has recommended.

I am slightly worried because when I went to Eqypt I got bitten so much on my legs that my legs all swelled up and I had to wear a long skirt for the whole holiday it was that bad.I could not stop itching my legs and had to stay in the hotel room most of teh holiday as my legs hurt so much. What do I take to stop them biting me?!! HELP! I am going to try garlic capsules which someone recommended but is there any other things I could try? Is there a tablet I can take daily before I go taht stops them?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Lianne

Chloroquine%26amp;Proguine

If you%26#39;re attractive to mosquitos, it%26#39;s something you have to live with. No amount of garlic or Vitamin B capsules will stop them biting you. However, you can plaster yourself in a good insect repellent.

I know everyone has their favourite, but after trying Odomos in Goa and getting bitten almost everywhere, I now stick to something with a hefty dose of DEET in it that I buy in the UK - Jungle Formula or Boots own, for example.

Chloroquine%26amp;Proguine

I am the same and i use Expedition from the camping shops comes in different strengths i use 50%,it contains deet, it works for me,buy a spray when you get there for the room,use it before you go out at night.I burn the coils and citronella candles on the balcony.Antihistamine tablets help the itching,can be bought at any chemist in Goa.

Regards Rita


Yeah boots do a 50% deet spray which is very good and about the cheepest you can get in the UK, as mentioned before anti histamines help with the itching. Plus if you go out in the evenings light trousers stop the little blighters getting your ancles


Hi Lianne,

I agree with the earlier reply that if mossies are attracted to you then you have to accept that, how ever there is a repellent that is supplied to the armed forces and is available to buy in your local pharmacy, called Ben%26#39;s 100 or Ben%26#39;s 30, the 100 contains the maximum Deet allowed and the 30 contains

30%. I have the same problem as you with bites but touch wood have never been bitten when using either of these.

Have a great bite free holiday.

AWS.


Liane

I always get bitten, even in England so my regime in Goa is always the same, I take the prescribed Chloroquine and proguanil malaria tablets. After being in the sun I always use an aftersun with insect repellent in it (Boots do a good one), spray myself with Avon Skin so soft dry oil spray (Green one) and spray myself with Insect repellent. I always take my insect repellent out with me in the evening too. I rarely get bitten.

Its so annoying though as my hubby hardley ever gets bitten he never puts insect repellent on - nothing - but he smokes cigars and I%26#39;m convinced this is the reason. If he does get bitten (as I say rarely) his bites never itch.

We%26#39;re off to Goa again Sat week for the 6th time taking my daughter and her partner for the first time, really looking forward to showing her all the things we love in Goa.


Hi, I%26#39;ve seen the Jungle formula spray in Homebargains for about £2 cheaper than elsewhere, if you want to compare that to Boots%26#39; own?

Not been before (but can%26#39;t wait 8-) ), and a workfriend whose family is from India said just nip into a chemist if you%26#39;re bitten and they%26#39;ll give you something to stop the itching. Over here M%26amp;S are selling some little clicker thing to press against the bite to stop it itching.

HJ

(2 weeks, 2 days, not that I%26#39;m counting)


Those little clicker things actually work quite well, and tiger balms quite effective for cooling the itching too. Bites generally swell up quite a bit on me, so I take anti-histamine cream AND tablets.

And Jenny - my husband doesn%26#39;t get bitten either. He reckons I%26#39;m the best insect repellent he%26#39;s ever come across. If he%26#39;s out with me, there%26#39;s no chance of him getting bitten because they%26#39;ll always make a beeline straight for me.


Lianne,

The best thing that you can do is as others have suggested, wear Tropical Strength Jungle Formula, don%26#39;t wear anything scented, so no perfume but also get a fragrance free deodrant and steer clear of body moisturisers / aftersun. Have a lovely time.


I had a nasty bite once in Greece and the chemist there gave me florestil gel and its really good for the swelling and itch. but I have no idea where to get it apart from Greece???

I got some sound sleep? repellant spray and its good handbag size seemed to work ok.


I%26#39;m exactly the same as LondonGoa–girl, get bitten loads and the little buggers never touch my husband. Odomos didn%26#39;t work for me at all but 50% deet jungle formula was better, still not completely effective but alot better. Regarding the malaria tablets, I%26#39;ve taken these twice with food both times and had no side effects at all.

  • parameter
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment