Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Super Tailor- Candolim

We recently stayed in Candolim,and had about 拢400 of clothes made for us at super tailor.Excellent service and clothes.Since returning to UK I have sent numerous e-mails asking for clothing to be posted back here.(which they said they could do with pleasure.)But have nor received a reply. Has anyone had this problem,or would anyone be popping in there shortly?







Super Tailor- Candolim


Hi Lindapinda,



Me and my partner have booked to go to GOA November this year. We have never been before and I must admit I am very nervous???? Therefore I cannot answer your questions, but I would appreciate if you could give me some more info regarding the Tailors you used? Name, rough prices to pay, location etc? Also did you take them in an article of clothing to copy or did you just explain what you were after?



Hope you don%26#39;t mind me asking?



Super Tailor- Candolim


Big Old Worrier. You will love it-dont worry. The tailors are excellent.They have catalogues from next and all big stores you just choose a style and colour.Or take in an old shirt etc for them to copy. A nice suit made to measure should be 拢40 ish. If you e-mail me I will give you more details.(thee are dozens of tailors on every street. re_roadrunner@yahoo.com




Hi lindapinda,



Thanks for the info and I wait to hear back from you by email.



Speak soon.



BigOldWorrier




Super Tailor is fabulous. My partner had a silk mix suit and 2 shirts made for 拢73 and they did him a 2nd jacket and 2 more shirts at an even better rate.





In Mapusa my partner bought me a beautiful wedding sari for 拢15, and supertailors made the top (the fabric for this is attached to the end of a sari) for about 拢2.50 (you couldn%26#39;t even buy the hook and eye fasteners for it for that here!!).





We%26#39;re taking any clothes we want copied with us this time.





I do have some of supertailor%26#39;s business cards, but have never tried to contact them from here.




Hello Candolim Imp, going to Candolim in March with my daughter and her friend and they both want to buy saris. Could you tell me where you had yours made in Mapusa or if there are any nice ones they could buy in Candolim %26amp; what they can expect to pay. Thanks. Lenny




There by hangs a tale....





We bought the wedding sari at a sari shop at the front of Mapusa market. We had my friend Raj with us, who did much of the dealing.... but the saris were fixed price anyway (though we didn%26#39;t realise that while we were agreeing to pay 拢15, Raj had established a 10% discount.... but we%26#39;d parted with the cash by the time we discovered this... not that it matters... it was ridiculously cheap anyway)





The one I have is very sheer, red, with very ornate and intricate bead %26amp; sequin work along the length and a broad band along the bottom. The attached piece for the top was in beige and had bead %26amp; sequin decoration for the sleeves. It%26#39;s the kind of sari that would be used for a wedding (red being the traditional colour), but they also stocked them in most other colours with similar decorative work.





The same day, I stopped at a clothes shack in Candolim, looking for a really cheap sari for furnishing/wearing... and found one with a bit of repaired damage. I was first quoted 8,000 rs for it (about 拢50)... I genuinely moved to leave, telling him that if he wanted anything like this amount, we were clearly never going to agree on a price, as we%26#39;d bought a perfect, beautiful one for 拢15 that day. He didn%26#39;t want me to leave, despite the fact that I insited I would pay no more than 400 rs for it (拢5).... he kept dropping the price hoping I%26#39;d come up a bit, but I refused to budge. Finally my partner took pity on him and added 150 rs to my 400.. LOL.





I just didn%26#39;t believe for one moment that it was worth any more than 拢5 when a shop could sell such an intricate piece of work for 拢15.





To drop from 4,000 to 650 just goes to show how much some vendors will try to con you (as clearly he would never sell it at a loss!). The guides often estimate offering half the first price, and meeting somewhere in the middle.... but in this case, that would mean paying 3,000 rs for something worth 650.





You always find you get a better deal when you have a clear idea of what you want to pay, and are adamant you won%26#39;t pay more. If they don%26#39;t like your price, they have the choice not to sell, but it is an eye-opener to discover just how much of a mark-up some people have put on their goods.





I sound like one of these people who demand the rock-bottom price... I%26#39;m not... and when my Goan pals claim they could%26#39;ve got something 100rs cheaper... I figure I%26#39;ve done fine... they%26#39;ve got a good price and I%26#39;ve got a bargain.... but in this case I simply didn;t want to pay much for a plain (ripped) sari... so if he wanted a sale, he had to be more realistic on price.





I would recommend you go to a fixed price sari shop. That one in Mapusa is great... a proper small shop unit near the road at the front.... just skirt around the market and you should find it. Panjim will also have numerous sari shops... though Mapusa may be a little cheaper.





Saris usually come with the complimentary colour piece for making the top on the end... which supertailor made for 拢2.50... but they will also make an underskirt in a matching colour to the sari itself (I forget now, that might%26#39;ve been included in the 拢2.50). You need this really for dressing the sari. A light skirt might suffice, but it would need a waitband.. not elastic... as this supports the skirt of the sari.





If you don%26#39;t have your daughters with you, it will be more difficult to have the tops/underskirts made, but I imagine a tailor could do it with full measurements (chest, under bust, upper arms and perhaps across the back... shoulder to shoulder... plus waist and leg for the skirt)




Sorry, I mis-read.. the girls will be with you... so no problem with the tailoring.




and sorry,... I meant to say I was initially quoted 4,000 rs for the ';cheap'; sari




We always shop at supa tailor. My husband has so many shirts and trousers now we have had to have another wardrobe! We had the same problem with emails last season and when we returned and mentioned it to him, he said he had his lap top stolen, obviously he still hasn%26#39;t replaced it. We are going back on 29th Dec if that%26#39;s any good.




Thanks very much for all the info re saris it was very useful, think they will probably be buying them from the shop at Mapusa. Lenny

No comments:

Post a Comment