Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Should I skip Jaipur and Pushkar?

I have only 2 weeks to spend in Rajastan and want to def see Udaipur and Jailsamer (and 2 day camel trek) and Jodhpur - where else do you recommend? I hear conflicting reports on Jaipur and have been advised to skip it now. Pushkar was a favourite of 2 of my fiends who travelled here independently 8 and 5 years ago but many interest posts I now see advise skipping it -- suggestions please?



Should I skip Jaipur and Pushkar?


LondonJuicer,





if you send me an email i can send you a 7 page Word document detailing my recent 3 weeks in Rajasthan. But for now, I would say to not miss Jaipur, but you could give it 2-3 days and that would be plenty.





Jodhpur can be a madhouse, so if you do go to Jodhpur, the main thing in is the visit to the Bishnoi village or the Fort which is damned amazing I must say, but if you really want to see Rajasthan at its finest, try to get to Bundi for at least 2 days/2 nights. It is incredible, slow, non-touristed and there is an amazing Fort there as well that is accessible from the center of town by foot. We stayed at Haveli Braj Bushanjee. it is gorgeous and the food is really good.





Paul Henri



phcarvalho@earthlink.net



Should I skip Jaipur and Pushkar?


I would not skip Jaipur - I love walking in the pink city and going to Amber fort -but I might skip Pushkar.



Too many tourist traps.



In that area I stayed in Kishengargh (sp?) which has a non touristy town and a heritage hotel with fort (Phool Mahal). I like to photograph so my interests may be different than yours.



I did love Pushkar however a few years ago during the camel fair.



Jaisalmer is great. I stayed in the desert in Khuri.



Be careful with camel safaris. 2 days may be a long time to sit on a camel. A sunset camel ride is plenty for me.



I love Jodhpur which has the most interesting forteresse (and there are many interesting ones!). I also like Bikaner and Ranakpur. Bundi. Gajner (near Jodhpur).



Also look at the sheikawati region with Mandawa and other little towns that are very picturesque.




Thanks for the tips guys - Im really looking forward to it although at the minute I am chilling in Varkala, Kerala so it seems a million miles away.





Can I ask when you travelled - did you tend to book your hotels in advance or just go with the flow - also the same question re your train tickets?




In Rajasthan and thinking of missing Jaipur ? you%26#39;ll miss the heart of Rahasthani culture and hospitality and more over the lovely and beautiful architecture that only of its kind in the world , pink city is just great.




I have just spend 3 night in Jaipur, but I thought it was 2 night to much. There was other places I would like to have stayed longer. I did not go to Pushkar.




Can I ask when you travelled - did you tend to book your hotels in advance or just go with the flow - also the same question re your train tickets?





I always book in advance to avoid wasting precious travel time. Today with internet it is easier but I like to use an agency, does not cost more, your reservations are confirmed and you do not have to worry about it.




Jaipur a destination --must-- reserve a room before you reach Jaipur the tuk-tuk people are ----- don%26#39;t believe what they say 3 day in Jaipur OK . hi Jones you still there or back to work ?




I really think it depends on you, LondonJuicer. I liked Pushkar, others hate it. I disliked Jaipur the first time, but I think that%26#39;s because it came at the end of my first India trip when I was tired and cranky. Subsequent visits I%26#39;ve enjoyed it much more.





Both places are touristy, but Pushkar attracts more long-term, hippy types where Jaipur is squarely on the mainstream route.





If it%26#39;s within your budget try to stay at Umaid Bhawan. Wow.




Talking about jaipur makes me feel as if I am back in the lovely city and You cathy still writing on Tripadvisor you just cant forget the Places you have stayed . LJ try Jaipur and staying at pemabhilasha guest house. hope to see you some day Cathy.




the holi festival in jaipur will be on 21 march and its great to see and play holi atop elephants back. the festivities are at the old city and a must visit then





from 24 march there is the 10 day long celebration called virasat festival of jaipur. its one of the unesco recognised city festival and the whole of pink city seems to be celebrating with dance music and food. a lot of craft bazaars, art shows and culture stoppers are in display and you get to see what a vibrant city jaipur is.





if you are in jaipur then dont miss these events. book ypour rooms too as the city is full of visitors and artists then.the tourist office at m.i. road will give you free entry passes to all these events. have a blast...





for more details you can write to me at





shomad@sify.com


  • origins
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment