Monday, April 16, 2012

Foreigners wearing sarees in Indian weddings

I am on the fence on whether or not I could/should wear a saree in an Indian wedding. My bf and I are going to the wedding of a multi-millionaire Indian (possibly Punjabi or Rajasthani) who he is working for. It%26#39;s a traditional Indian wedding. According to the the groom, we dont have to, as ';Westerners'; but I just love the beautiful sarees I see, and I just thought this is a good opportunity to wear one. There are several events, which is typical. I plan to wear a cocktail dress during the Sangeet, a summer dress during Mehendi, and the saree during the actual wedding.

Any thoughts?

Foreigners wearing sarees in Indian weddings

Please go ahead and try it. You can get a saree which is pre-stitched (that is, you can just wear it and won%26#39;t need to drape it). It can be a little difficult to manage a saree which you need to drape. Also, if possible, practise carrying the saree by wearing it before the wedding.

Else, a lehenga is also a very appropraite wedding dress. You get them in all sorts of colours and designs and they are easier to manage (since a lehenga is essentially a skirt with a blouse and dupatta) and look really nice.

Whatever you choose to wear, enjoy the wedding and be prepared to eat a lot of yummy food.....

Foreigners wearing sarees in Indian weddings

On a saree website, I read ';The personal pleasure of draping this unstitched fluid garment over and around the body, adjusting it with little tucks and pulls to suit one%26#39;s own particular form, is sensuous';. I have to agree! That final flinging of the pallu over the shoulder, the twisting to look at your back in the mirror, the feel of Kanchi silk as it goes round the bare midriff - it *is* a subtle sensual delight. Even more is the feel of heavy cool gold-and-rubies at the neck, and the final touch of kajal in the eyes.

If the saree interests you, try it. My only reservation is this - what makes the saree graceful is not just the drape, but also a certain body posture and walking style. Just as the African woman has her own gait, or the Japanese woman her own, the Indian woman does too. This is what gives beauty to the saree and makes it seem feminine and graceful. My personal opinion is that this is not easy for Western women, whose walk is more of a confident stride. Add to it the artificial sway that high heels produce, and the saree begins to look a little odd. But maybe its just my sense of aesthetics.

The lehenga is easier to wear, of course, since it is essentially a skirt and blouse. But it doesn%26#39;t figure on my sensuousness-scale :) mainly because most of them are heavily sequinned and abrasive on the skin.

- Deepa


Thank you so much! I bought this beautiful red and gold lehenga. I love it. Can%26#39;t wait to wear it to the wedding!


Post your pictures after the event...we%26#39;d like to see how you looked in the lehenga.

Enjoy!

  • origins
  • do for extremely dry skin
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment