Wednesday, April 18, 2012

any advice, please

I was thinking of going to Goa area for a holiday, 2-3 weeks





What%26#39;s the weather like in May/June ?





How much spending money would I need ? (not including hotel) just for food and sounveniers and drinks, not that I drink much, just a beer or 3)





Just a couple of us going





Is it favourite to take cash (UKP) or travellers checks for the best exchange rate ?





Would I need any injections ? (or any other medicines to take with us)





Any advice appreciated



any advice, please


Chartered flights stop taking tourist in April. May starts to get very hot and then comes the monsoon. You wouldnt need much cash, dont think so many places will be open. Goas good nov, dec, jan, feb, mar these are the most popular months. You may want to reconsider going to Goa in these months. See your GP about vacinations, and also Malaria Tablets, there are lots of postings on this forum offering good advice on which tablets are effective.



any advice, please


DagenhamKal is spot on with advice. as for best exchange rate, open a nationwide flex-account and use the ATM machines to get your money when you are there,business interst rate,no charge for withdrawing money abroad and no need to carry large ammounts of money around,just get it as and when.



steve




Most places close by May when the charter flights have stopped. In the monsoon season (June to September) there%26#39;s really no beach at all because the tides are so high. I don%26#39;t imagine there%26#39;s a huge amount of souvenirs available either. Because it%26#39;s so humid at that time of year, the mozzies have a field day, so anti-malarials would be essential as would mega-strength repellents. ATMs abound, so you should be able to use your debit card to withdraw cash, or cash or travellers cheques can be changed at banks (better rates than hotels). Charter flights start again in the middle of October.




Nanny0401,





Like they%26#39;ve said the tourist season has stopped so you would have to come via Mumbai (no direct flights to Goa. The weather is VERY close although if you%26#39;re on a bike then it%26#39;s OK and if you%26#39;re near the sea it%26#39;s OK (just need a nice breeze to take the edge off). Normally the rains start in June, I%26#39;ve been here there last 4 years and sometimes they%26#39;re early sometimes late, the rain does cool things down which is a relief but when it stops the humidity builds up again.





The good thing about this time of year is that you can rent apartments on the cheap, should be able to get somewhere nice for under £100 a month. You still have to do a bit of searching though to find something of a good price.





Food and drink is really cheap, more so as they put the prices down for the off season and most of the tourist bars/restuarants close. Don%26#39;t let that put you off though as they are still LOTS of restuarants (us locals have to eat!)





As previously mentioned - Nationwide FLex Account is really the best option! It%26#39;s worth both of you taking one (just incase one if misplaced/lost). The card is the best value and easiest way of getting Rupess. I think EVERYBODY should have one they%26#39;re great (No I don%26#39;t work for Natinowide :o)





Injections, we recommend our volunteers to get although Hep B shouldn%26#39;t be required I don%26#39;t think but it%26#39;s always best to speak to your GP (but this advice fluctuates a little).





T.B.



Polio



Tetanus



Diphtheria



Hepatitis A and B



Typhoid



Rabies





Malaria tablets are the wise choice (better safe than sorry) although I have never taken them, but I live here and think the side effects are more of a worry for long term use, but I%26#39;ll probably change my mind if I get malaria. (A few of our children ahve had it and I know someone who died from it, so be safe!) The best thing is to stay inside in the evenings 5pm till 7pm or cover up well and put lots of repelent on!





I personally prefer Goa during the off season as it returns to Goa as - I think - it should be... chilled relaxed place... Although I might reccomend going late August/ Early September as it%26#39;s beautiful and green by then and the rains are few and far between...




Rob that%26#39;s a really good advertisement for Goa in the off-season! I%26#39;ve often thought I%26#39;d like to give it a go, but I%26#39;m put off by the thought of having to fly through monsoon storms, not being a very happy flyer in the first place. Read a book called Chasing the Monsoon by Alexander Frater a few years ago and it didn%26#39;t do anything to bolster my confidence.




I am glad it has made you think about joining th ever growing Monsoon tourists... :o) - I actaully prefer being the only white person so I better start making it sound horrible... :o) - The monsoon storms don%26#39;t really effect the flight (not that I noticed anyway....)





Thanks





Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment